Better Together…Understanding Today’s Realities
Too many people in our region are silently suffering. We may not see or experience the extent of their pain and stress. But it exists. Hardship hides behind closed doors. It lives in neighborhoods we know well and those we never walk through. It dwells in every corner of our community, near and far.
Consider this. Prior to Covid-19:
- We had the third highest rate of child abuse and neglect in the state
- Our children scored lower than the rest of the state in English and math
- One quarter of our residents were low-income. The rest of NH the rate is 1 in 5
These statistics are likely to get worse in the months to come.
When our neighbors cannot work, earn enough money, afford to buy enough food or keep a roof over their heads, hardships grow and multiply. This creates toxic stress that affects entire families and communities. And a downward cycle continues.
But it doesn’t have to be that way.
Our region has proven time and again that we are Better Together
United Together, we can:
- Ensure people have good food and safe homes to live in
- Prepare children and families for success
- Create financially stable homes